I will honestly admit that I am not a huge fan of yoga. I usually prefer high intensity workouts that get my heart pumping and adrenaline rushed.
But, with pregnancy comes the need to slow down, and of course, not perform any jarring movements, so I’ve been implementing a few yoga moves in my prenatal workouts. (Baby comes first!)
If you plan on conceiving and aren’t pregnant yet, take note that yoga helps prepare your body for pregnancy in the ways I listed below. A woman’s hormone levels are more likely to be in balance when participating in yoga (and maintaining a healthy diet), which will help conception occur more easily.
Here are the top reasons I find yoga to be an amazing workout choice before and during pregnancy:
1) If you have not been working out before conceiving and would like to get healthy and start, yoga is great for beginners, as it is not strenuous on a woman’s body.
2) Yoga is a great way to reduce stress. Baby feels all mom’s energy, so it’s especially important during pregnancy to remove yourself from drama and be calm.
3) Prenatal yoga helps keep you in shape during pregnancy, and can be done in the comfort of your own home! (Thanks Youtube videos!)
4) Yoga can relieve common aches and pains most pregnant women endure. Prenatal yoga poses increase strength to help mom carry her growing baby, and lessens pelvic irritation.
5) Yoga classes are a great way to hang with other moms to be! Pregnancy can sometimes feel isolating–especially in the third trimester when you are forced to slow down. I met many great moms in my classes, and it was great social interaction.
What are your favorite workouts during pregnancy? Let me know in the comments below, and as always–thanks for sharing and liking!
Let’s make it a great weekend,
[avatar user=”monica557″ size=”thumbnail” align=”left” link=”file”]Monica.B[/avatar]