I made this recipe for my boyfriend and it was a hit. It’s healthy, filling, checks all the nutritional boxes, and at only 316 calories you can’t beat it! Let’s get into it!
- Coconut oil
- 4-6 drumsticks
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Chili powder
- Red pepper flakes
- brown rice
- Vegetables of choice (I used peppers, onions and bok choy)
Cooking the chicken 🍗
- The first thing you want to do is spice the chicken with all the spices in a large bowl and mix together with your hands. Rub and coat the chicken well.
- In a large skillet put in 2 tablespoons or enough to thinly coat the bottom of the pan with coconut oil and turn the pan on to medium high heat.
- When the pan is hot put the drum sticks in. Cook each side of the drumstick for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cook a few extra minutes each side for extra crispiness.
- While that’s doing its thing lets work on the sides!
- In a medium pan bring 4 cups of water into a boil. Sprinkle in some salt and a couple teaspoons of butter.
- When the water is at a boil pour in two cups of rice. Turn down the heat to low and cover. Cook for about 20 or until all the water is evaporated.
- Cut the onions, leave the peppers whole, and cut the bok choy into individual leaves.
- Put 2 tablespoons of coconut oil into a large skillet, let the pan get hot and throw in the onions. Let the onions sauté until the start turning golden brown. Turn down the heat to medium and throw in the peppers, let cook until the peppers get a beautiful char on them.
- Lastly, throw in the bok choy and let simmer until the leaves are wilted. Then you are ready to go!
- Note: At any point in the process you can add your own flavors and twist at any point of this process, feel free to make it your own!